We made some of these🍪 No Bake Cookie Energy Bites 🍪the other day to get more healthy fats in AND ward off the cookie cravings… instead of eating the sugar-laden granola bars we used to rely on.
😍MOMWIN: Some actually made it to the freezer to save for later without getting eaten 😉 Between my 3 year old, my husband and I they really don’t last long! I think because they taste like the No Bake Cookies we were used to eating back before trying to make our food choices a little healthier!
But eventually we just got sick and tired of being SICK and TIRED all the time, and figured we needed to find easier ways to get our health back under control as a busy family😊 And these cookies are full of healthy fats that keep our energy up, brains focused and metabolism going strong!
I also have a Lemon Energy Bite recipe too if that’s more your style! Just comment below and I’ll get it to ya. 🍋🍋🍋
NO BAKE ENERGY BITES
Servings: 12 (two bites each)
1 cup old-fashioned oats
2/3 cup toasted unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup ground flax seed or wheat germ
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspooon cinnamon
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (optional!)
- Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Use enough water to make the dough rollable but not sticky!
- Roll into balls about 3/4″ in diameter.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.What would your family like better, Peanut Butter or Lemon flavored Energy Bites?
I used to eat Granola Bars DAILY…for breakfast, for a snack, or as a dessert! They are so QUICK AND EASY! And healthy right??
But after I realized the pre-packaged options weren’t exactly the healthiest thing (full of sugars and not much protein/fiber/nutrients) I reluctantly wrote them off.
And then a few months ago, I found this recipe!! It has lots of good protein from a surprise ingredient (quinoa), but the taste and texture is the bomb! My son loves them too. I changed up a few things from the original recipe (source is listed below) and they are a new staple in my house. You can even customize them by adding more of one thing and leaving out another (nuts, coconut, etc.)
CHEWY QUINOA GRANOLA BARS
Yield: 15 servings
1 cup cooked quinoa (for crunchy bars, use uncooked quinoa)
1 cup oats
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup nut butter
1/2 cup honey (local is best)
1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread oats and quinoa on a cookie sheet and toast in preheated oven for 8 minute, stirring once halfway through.
- Place oats/quinoa in a large bowl with unsweetened coconut.
- Grease the same baking sheet you just used.
- In a medium saucepan, combine salt, peanut butter, honey, & coconut oil.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and immediately remove from heat. (I’ve also used the microwave with good results)
- Pour over oats mixture and combine until dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Press mixture down into HALF of the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool for up to 2 hours and then cut and serve. (Oven times may vary. Watch your bars carefully to not burn them!)
Adapted from: Instagram.com/ditchthescale
21 Day Fix Container Equivalent: 1 bar = 1/4 Yellow, 1 orange, 3 tsp