Panera Bread’s Broccoli Cheese soup used to be a WEEKLY obsession of mine…now that I’m trying to eat a little healthier and have realized Dairy doesn’t mix well with thyroid issues, I’ve been on the hunt for a healthier version that still tastes good! (Sounds impossible right?!)
I took several recipes and combine them into one, and I have to say even dairy fans seem to appreciate this soup! Plus you can pack a ton of hidden veggies in here, and adjust things based on your family’s tastes. The key is using Nutritional Yeast to get that cheesy-flavor, I like Bragg’s brand and get it from Amazon.com.
And this soup freezes much better than regular cheese soups that end to get all gloppy when thawed out (is gloppy a word?!) So make extra for a busy day!
DAIRY FREE BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
Serves 6 (approx. 2 cups each)
4 cups of veggies cut into bite sized pieces (cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, onions, or a combo of these)
1 box low sodium organic chicken broth/stock
4 cups (about 1 head) broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
1 can chickpeas or northern white beans
3/4 cups plain almond or cashew milk, divided
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp. thyme or poultry seasoning
Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot cook 1/2 the carton of broth and the 4 cups of veggies until tender.
- While veggies are cooking, chop the broccoli.
- Once veggies are tender, blend together in a large blender (be careful with hot liquids!)
- Back into your pot, add the veggie puree, remaining broth, broccoli, garlic & onion powder, thyme or poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir and cook covered for 7-10 mins, or until broccoli is tender.
- While soup is cooking, rinse and drain beans. Blend with 1/2 cup non-dairy milk. Add more liquid if needed to achieve smooth texture.
- Add beans and additional 1/4 cup non-dairy milk to the soup once the broccoli is tender.
- Add 1/2 cup nutritional yeast and stir to combine.
21 Day Fix Equivalent: 1 green veggie, ½ yellow carb
What kind of soups do you crave as the weather gets colder? Is anyone in your house eating dairy free right now too?