I used to eat Granola Bars DAILY…for breakfast, for a snack, as a dessert! They are so QUICK AND EASY! And healthy right??
But after I realized the pre-packaged options weren’t exactly the healthiest thing (full of sugars and not much protein/fiber/nutrients) I reluctantly wrote them off.
And then a few months ago, I found this recipe!! It has lots of good protein from a surprise ingredient (quinoa), but the taste and texture is the bomb! My son loves them too. I changed up a few things from the original recipe (source is listed below) and they are a new staple in my house. You can totally customize them by adding more of one thing and leaving out another (nuts, coconut, etc.)
CHEWY QUINOA GRANOLA BARS
Yield: 15 servings
21 Day Fix Container Equivalent: 1 bar = 1/4 Yellow, 1 orange, 3 tsp
1 cup cooked quinoa (for crunchy bars, use uncooked quinoa)
1 cup oats
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup nut butter
1/2 cup honey (local is best)
1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread oats and quinoa on a cookie sheet and toast in preheated oven for 8 minute, stirring once halfway through.
- Place oats/quinoa in a large bowl with unsweetened coconut.
- Grease the same baking sheet you just used.
- In a medium saucepan, combine salt, peanut butter, honey, & coconut oil.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and immediately remove from heat. (I’ve also used the microwave with good results)
- Pour over oats mixture and combine until dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Press mixture down into HALF of the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool for up to 2 hours and then cut and serve. (Oven times may vary. Watch your bars carefully to not burn them!)
Adapted from: Instagram.com/ditchthescale